Märklin H0 - 3498 - Tender locomotive type GT 2 4/4 "Mallet" of the Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft (DRG).
With original packaging and the MHI booklet.
Company Number: 5773.
MHI edition from 1995.
An MHI model together with the MHI leaflet.
The housing is made out of die-cast metal and is in blue livery.
The boiler cover and roof are made of plastic and are black.
A lovely locomotive with fine detailing.
2 Headlights (lanterns) at either end.
Axle configuration: D`D, 8 Axles.
Close coupling backdrops.
The length between the buffers is: 20.3 cm.
With a delta decoder for use in both digital and analogue modes.
Very beautiful and detailed steam locomotive.
Tested and fully functional.
The locomotive is in mint condition.
Has hardly ever been run, please see the (gear) wheels and pick-up shoe.
Please have a look at the 53 photos of this unique and heavy metal locomotive.
The presentation rail is not included in the offer.
Steam locomotive Bavarian Gt 2x4/4 later DRG-Series 96.
Development and deployment:
The K.Bay.Sts.B. in Bavaria called for a strong locomotive for its three heavy inclined sections, that could handle a gradient of up to 25% and did not exceed a maximum axle-load of 15.5 tons. In 1910, the Maffei company was commissioned to build these locomotives. The Bayerische Gt 2x4/4 was a heavy freight locomotive with an axle configuration of D'D' h4v, with articulated drivetrain of the type "Mallet" where the rear drivetrain was attached to the frame and the front drivetrain swivelled. The locomotives were built by the company Maffei. The first series of 15 units were delivered as from 1913. The first construction series of the Gt 2x4/4 had fewer sand pipes than wheels, 1 air-compressor, a narrow smokestack, a tapered coal bunker, a single roof-light, a sand dome at the front of the boiler and typically, without a steam dome.
As from 1922, a second, and more powerful series of 10 units was delivered. In 1923, the buffer platform above the cylinders was increased, a high coal-bunker was mounted at the back of the locomotive. It also had a wide smokestack, and at times a double extended smokestack, double roof light, steam dome in the centre, round sand dome, more sand pipes. All locomotives were taken over by the DRG when the Reichsbahn was founded in the early 1920s and were classified as Series 96. They were primarily deployed for freight traffic, but also for passenger traffic. After a number of years of service at the Reichsbahn, the locomotives were converted and adapted to the requirements applicable at the Reichsbahn. The second series of locomotives (96 016 - 96 025) was adapted from 1925 to 1927 and the first series (96 001 - 96 015) was converted from 1929 to 1932. This happened as in this early period, it was invariably only the experienced operators that were able to control the locomotive without any issues, as the pressure in the boiler and cylinders was not easy to regulate. The coal stocks and braking abilities were also improved, something that had previously caused problems with heavy trains on the long and steep trajectories. After the conversion of the series, the locomotive was satisfactorily deployed in the freight market for many years.
During World War II, several locomotives were badly damaged and after 1945 there were only 9 functional units that were deployed with the Reichsbahn. After World War II, Germany was divided into a western and eastern part, the railways were divided accordingly. In West Germany (the Bundesrepublik) the Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB) thus came into being from 1949 onwards. In East Germany (the GDR) the name Deutsche Reichsbahn was maintained. The remaining locomotives served in Germany until 1948 and all but 2 were then scrapped (the 96 002 and 96 024) which were classified with the DR (GDR) and stationed at Stendal. At the end of 1949, these 2 locomotives were used as steam generators to heat station buildings, which they did until 1954. The intention was to preserve the last 2 as a museum locomotive, but in 1954 both were scrapped after all.
No locomotive has ever been deployed in the ‘line service’ in any other than the prescribed livery. The ochre yellow and ocean blue colours that Bavaria used sporadically at the time are only intended as attention-grabbers for merchant railway managers at exhibitions such as those that were held in Seddin, Munich, Paris, etc. Sources:
Gt 2x4/4 with company number 5773 has participated in the Seddin locomotive exhibition in steel-blue livery. The locomotive was then converted and was exhibited at the locomotive fair in Munich in 1925 (It is unclear whether this was also in the blue livery).
Gt 2x4/4 in Belgium.
After World War I, 10 locomotives were assigned to Liege as reparations. These were deployed on the route: Liege-Lowen-Brussels. These included the locomotives with the following running numbers: 5751-5753-5754-5756-5759-5760-5762-5763-5764-5765.
- N.º de artículos
- Locomotora ténder
- Compañía ferroviaria
- Número de catalogo
- Fuente de alimentación
- CA - Corriente alterna
- Analógico, Delta, Digital
- En la caja original
- Gt 2 4/4 "Mazo"