Leonardo Bazzaro, 19th century.
‘La felice vendemmia’.
From a private collection in Milan.
Work exhibited at the Merchant in Fair in Parma, antiques department.
Bazzaro, Leonardo was born on December 13, 1853 in Milan from Ambrogio, a clerk in a fabric shop, who then took over and managed his own business, thus allowing his sons Leonardo and Ernesto to dedicate themselves to art.
Bazzaro had his first rudiments of art from the painter G. Fasanotti; then he followed a regular course at the Academy with G. Bertini, whom young people preferred to Hayez. Like most of his disciples, he began his activity with a series of interior paintings, praised by the master and appreciated on the art market. Some of his studies on powerfully coloured and chiaroscuro figures, and in particular his early self-portrait now kept in the Gussoni collection (Milan), reveal his singular aptitudes in a field that he cultivated less.
From that period we remember the Milanese interior: Choir of the church of S. Vittore (1871); ’Il duello’ (1878, Fumagalli Prize, formerly Mascioni collection); the Hall of Palazzo Verri; ’La vestizione della monaca’ (1888, Milan, Modern Art Gallery); the Chapel of the Church of Carmine (ibidem); interior of the chapel of Our Lady of Graces (ibidem); the pulpit of St. Ambrose; ’Il saccheggio’ (Milan, Poldi Pezzoli Museum). For the Council Hall in the Castle of Issogne he won the Principe Umberto award in 1887.
Soon he was attracted by open-air painting, and in particular by the colour of the Venetian lagoon: he stayed in Chioggia and ended up settling in Gignese (Novara) for most of the year. He died in Milan on November 2, 1937.
He is considered a lively exponent of Lombard Impressionism, dedicated to chromatic and luministic research, but escaped the flattery of Divisionism. Volumes, in his first manner, are solidly constructed then broken up in a flickering of rapid brushstrokes marked by lively colouring.
Working until old age, Bazzaro was very fertile in his works: sometimes it seemed that their number was not to the advantage of quality, but actually he kept not just the originals, but also the numerous replicas of his most fortunate canvases. For his qualities as a colourist, he deserved to be worthily represented in major Italian and international galleries.
Of his best manner, we remember: ‘Ponte di Chioggia’, awarded in Paris in 1889; ’Pace di naufraghi’, gold medal at the Triennale di Milano in 1897 and then purchased by the king; ’Dopo il naufragio’, Principe Umberto award in 1906, then purchased by the Minister Andrassy in Munich.
He exhibited from 1897 onwards at the Venice Biennale, and in 1923 in Milan at Pesaro gallery. Among the works of the last years, we remember: ‘Alba del venerdì Santo’ and ‘Piazzetta del Melezet’ in 1930; ‘Rattoppi alle reti’ and ’Ultima neve sul Mottarone’ in 1932.
In 1939, in a posthumous individual exhibition, the most significant part of its production was collected in Milan, in the halls of Permanente.
- Leonardo Bazzaro (1853-1937)
- Título de la obra
- La felice vendemmia
- Óleo sobre lienzo
- Firmado a mano
- En buenas condiciones
- Vendido con marco
- Dimensiones totales
- 4×54×74 cm